Sunday, September 14, 2014

DIY: Cacti Planter



1. I spread out the newspaper on the floor (or in my case, a catalog). And then I started off by separating the white, black and brownish pebbles.
2. I put the pebbles in the mason jar, starting with the brownish pebbles and then the black and white ones.
ARDXdW on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs


3. I depotted the cacti, use a pair of chopsticks, try your best to avoid getting pricked.
4. I removed the soil on the cacti, not all of them, but most of them so they would fit in the jar.
5. I used the removed soil to fill the jar.
6. Putting the cacti in the jar. This was the hardest part for me.
7. Pick some smaller pebbles and carefully put them on top of the soil. 

8. Voila!
I posted a picture on instagram and twitter of a mason jar filled with pebbles saying I was going to attempt a DIY and here it is! I've been wanting to do this DIY for a while now. I know I'm not the first one to do this, but I thought I would share it with you nonetheless. It took me around 45 minutes to do this (includes preparation and cleaning), which a lot faster than I thought it would be. I really happy with the result, the cacti is a bit wobbly but I hope once the roots grow, it'll be sturdier than right now. 

Would you make one?

-Sophia

18 comments:

  1. Great post, nice to see something a little different and lovely idea!

    http://lux-rose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria NightingaleSeptember 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

    I would be so scared taking the cactus out haha :)


    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! It looks great in the jar.


    lexiesaurus

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool idea!!


    http://pomegranateandcoffee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh this is too cute! I've been pinning a lot of white + wood + plant decor ideas for my new apartment (moving in in just a few days!) and I've been trying to find new ways of holding plants/succulents--this is a great diy and I'm definitely saving it to my bookmarks! Thanks so much! xx

    <(') Hoda | JooJoo Azad

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so cute!

    What a great decoration tip! I am def pinning this on my pinterest for the future!

    Stop by my blog when you have time! Also check out my amazing giveaway!

    Love from Canada,

    Marie from Elle Charie

    ♥♥ Perfect Skin Giveaway♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg this is sooo cute! I want to make one for my room now. Thanks for sharing!

    <3 Emi

    silver & lemon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I'd try it for sure. Really loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pricked my hand! haha, tongs or chopsticks are super helpful! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, love! You should it's fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been absolutely addicted to growing plants in jars for some time now! I don't know what it is about it but I think it looks gorgeous!

    x Erin

    http://louiseerin.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too! I think they look so much interesting than pots x

    ReplyDelete